photo menu-home.png   photo menu-archives.png   photo menu-gallery.png   photo menu-resume.png   photo menustudio1.png

02 March 2013

Luck of the Non-Irish – Pick Your Precious

First Sunday of the month; it must be time for a Storytelling Sunday post.  What’s that you say?  Well, our hostess Sian, from High In The Sky, urges us to tell a story about some thing precious to us.  In her words: “Pick Your Precious is about celebrating the little things you love: those souvenirs, bits and pieces, things from your past you can't bear to throw out.” For March, she was thinking of an Irish themed "precious" maybe.

_______________________

Well, I’m not Irish, but I am lucky.  In fact, despite my American/English/French ancestry, I am quite fond of St. Patrick’s Day.  And the reason is all summed up in one of my most precious possessions (past or present) – my engagement/wedding ring.

Because it was Saint Patrick’s Day, 1984 when my fiancĂ©e, now husband, T first slipped my engagement ring on my finger.  I remember it was a lovely Saturday in Saint Louis that day we made our engagement official.  To tell you the truth, I don’t remember what the weather was like – but it was a lovely day!!

We picked up the ring from a little jeweler downtown not far from where we both worked .  Here is our engagement photo, and a candid wedding photo with my ring on my finger.

engagement     wedding photo

I still have the little white box the wedding ring half was stored in until the big day just a little more than a year later.  I popped it in there for you to see.  Close scrutiny will reveal a few scratches from nearly 30 years of wear – yet, it gets more and more valuable as each one passes.

Blog28-001

 

No, I am not Irish, I am just incredibly lucky.

_______________________

So there is a quick story for you, now you have time to visit a few more storytellers who have shared their tales with Sian and all of us.

31 comments:

  1. Yes, I feel the same way! A lovely way to record and remember how precious your marriage is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing and making me smile

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very, very precious indeed. Thank you for sharing - your story made me smile too. J x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a perfectly perfect Irish precious! This is a clever one and I love it. Funny, I can remember St Patricks Day 1984. There was this party..
    ..it's nice to think that good things were happening across the world to good people I'd meet in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely story and you are lucky indeed to have something so precious in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A perfect story for March! Very precious, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A very precious story x many thanks for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how you have woven your story around your ring. A good way to celebrate St Patricks Day. Such a lovely set of photographs too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely story. Your ring is indeed precious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely way to honor your marriage. Here's to your French ancestry!
    Cheers from Bordeaux, FR

    ReplyDelete
  11. you have made me smile this evening. very lucky indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh what a lovely story - I like both the 1984 and wedding photos you both look so happy. Definitely such things get more precious with wear :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love seeing those photos, it brings back memories. Let's see, 1984....we celebrated our third anniversary in June and the birth of our son in December. A great year, indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great Story!!! I feel very lucky too. And I have some of that Irish blood in me. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Certainly is a precious piece of jewellery! Lovely story.

    ReplyDelete
  16. beautiful photos, you are beautiful.

    thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ahhh, great story and loved seeing the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  18. there's little more precious than that band of gold. just lovely

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely story Susanne...my engagement ring was stolen a couple of years after we were married, which I was always really sad about!
    alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Precious indeed and a lovely story!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a lovely blog post and how wonderful that you still have your little box.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sweet story - and my goodness you have hardly changed at all!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a lovely precious. It is amazing how we don't remember the weather unless it forms part of the story.

    ReplyDelete
  24. A very precious piece of jewellery and a lovely story :-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Bravo! What a lovely story. My original engagement ring is now in my jewelry box (DH gave me a new, bigger one for our 5th anniversary), but I hope to take the gemstone and turn it into another piece of jewelry some day.
    Rinda

    ReplyDelete
  26. That is a lovely story and great photos :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a lovely story and great pictures to go along with it.

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a truly precious story this month. Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Aw, that's so sweet, I love the candid photo of your wedding day, your dress is absolutely gorgeous! x

    ReplyDelete