photo menu-home   photo menu-gallery   photo menu-resume   photo menu-resume.png   photo menustudio1.png

22 January 2015

Inspired by Single and Pretty

Blog friend, Sian From High in the Sky, is one of the featured teachers over at Get It Scrapped this month and next.  The topic is pretty layouts with a single photo, which is right up her alley.  I have always admired her style, not to mention her storytelling.  Anyway, I thought I’d try my hand at it.  My January 2015 Counterfeit kit had many pretty papers to mix and match.  Now is the time, it would seem.


Ready for Church – a layout from my January 2015 Counterfeit Kit

ready for church-001 

Story: My sisters and I pose in the front yard, ready for church.  We are all in dresses, and we oldest two have those little doily veils we were required to wear.  I’m not sure how little sister is getting away without wearing one.  Is she winking at somebody in a knowing way or just squinting from the sun?  Perhaps Mom will wait until the last minute to pin the little veil on her.  But the last minute had nearly arrived as we only walk past two houses down the street to the church on the corner, like we did every Sunday when we were growing up. 

sisters close-up 
Style: This old photograph is self-explanatory – given that the subject is three little girls, it seems perfect for a single and pretty page.  I started with two main patterned papers that cross (in a nod to church) and I have added lots of touches that refer back to the dresses – the ruffled paper on the left edge, a doily, various buttons, faux pink stitching,  wooden bows and a little wooden dress at the bottom.  I kept wanting to add more, and I did add more.  But finally I finished by taking a few things off the page.  I have reinforced a simple diagonal flow to the page with the slightly darker pink washi tape. (That pink bow is not as dark in reality as it photographed.)

I will be trying this style again – I think I can do better.  And what do you think of using the original of the old photo?  Photographed without sunlight, the old photo looks even more yellowed that it is.  Would you have reprinted a cleaner, color corrected copy like the one I posted above.  Personally, I opted for the charm of the yellowed original over a new version, even though the retouched one would have matched the papers a little better.  I guess nostalgia trumps perfection this time.

Stuff: I added several things to my January 2015 Counterfeit Kit for this layout – the doily from an old Studio Calico kit, wood buttons from Dear Lizzy for American Crafts and odd buttons (some Stampin Up) from my stash.

After the photo, the thing I love most about this page has to be those adorable Anna Marie wood veneer pieces, both the bows and the dress, from Prima.

15 comments:

  1. Ohhhhhhhh this is gorgeous! LOVING the colors and the photo!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great page and really love the picture. Old memories a so wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww this is such a special layout.
    Love the photo..priceless

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an adorable photo. A beautiful page and I especially love that aqua floral paper. I love that you used the yellowed original photo. It adds to the charm. :) Single photo pages are the best in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is gorgeous...you can totally do this style. Love the old original photo. Will love to know more about the veil?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am absolutely all for nostalgia over perfection. There have been several times recently when I have cleaned up an old photo and then used it in its older form instead. I guess photos mean more to us than what we actually see in them.

    Lovin' the doily of course!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like you used the original photo. Adds to the charm. Plus where would you store it after you scrapped a cleaned up copy. Like the simple design that you used. And the doily behind the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a lovely layout - there's so much I like about it: that great vintage photo (I use the originals, too), how all the pieces tie in with the photo, and those wood veneer pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love how you let the photograph talk to you in your design -- I hope that you try this style again. :) It really is -- so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful layout, lone the wooden dress and the paper tucked in at the edge.
    Ciindy f.

    ReplyDelete