photo menu-home   photo menu-gallery   photo menu-resume   photo menu-resume.png   photo menustudio1.png

06 March 2015

March 2015 Counterfeit Challenge #1

The first challenge at the Counterfeit Kit Challenge blog this month is :  Border Craze, use die-cuts or stickers to create a border on your page.

Getaway - A Counterfeit Kit Challenge layout

Getaway3 

Story: One weekend in February, hubby and I got away to the “Bourbon Classic” in Louisville, Kentucky.  It’s a bourbon "education" and gourmet food tasting event.  This was our second year to attend – it makes a nice weekend away.  We learned a lot!

The top photo there is actually an advertising postcard depicting one of our favorite brands of bourbon.  The bottom two photos are us having fun with the red penguins at the hotel – and I will admit to being a “tea” tippler prior to posing there on the right one evening.  And, call me paranoid, but one of his friends followed us to lunch the next day.
 
Style: I chose the balloon paper because it seemed to symbolize the idea of getting away the best.  I used an old sketch from Paula Girarde for Get It Scrapped. (And racked up some Calvinball points to boot.) I adapted the sketch to include lots of die-cuts from my kit in a border down the right side.
 

 
I copied another old sketch at the same time – you will see that soon.  I think I like using these older less detailed sketches, they push me to make it my own.

Stash: Patterned Paper, Websters Pages; Cardstock, American Crafts; Alphabet, Crate Paper; Die-cuts, Shimelle; Chipboard, Teresa Collins; Journal Cards, Studio Calico and free printable by unknown; Cabochons, Stampin Up.

Now, why not check out what other Master Forgers’s have done with this challenge?

15 comments:

  1. I'm a big fan of a vertical line of embellishments - it's a great way to use up some of your stash and it adds a nice touch to your page. You picked the perfect sketch for this and did such a wonderful job with it. That balloon paper kind of echoes the glasses in the top photo (in an upside-down way) and your embellishments really signal the getaway theme. I really like this layout!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loveeeeeeee this! LOVING the colors, the photos and the goodies you added at the side!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMgosh! I love that border! So fun and it looks like you all were having fun too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your layered border. The die cut themes fit topic so nicely and your arrangement is terrific. The buttons add great dimension to it. So nice that your husband and you are enjoying these times together. Sounds like a fun time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the use of the die cuts to frame the entire side of your layout - really nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really love your layered border! It would be a good way to use up some of that collection of embellishments I seem to have amassed, lol! I have a question for you about the event you attended, too- my boyfriend really enjoys bourbon, and has a smallish collection- what kind of bourbon is pictured in the photograph?? (just to see if it's one he's tried already, or if he needs to be on the lookout for it, lol!) I'll have to look up some information about the Bourbon Classic online, too, and tell him about it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love what you did with this~ so "right". I might just try that sketch too!!! Thanks for the visit to my blog today :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, this is fabulous, Susanne!! I love the side border!! All of the details you added are just perfect!! What a beautiful layout!! Have a great weekend :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are the master when it comes to collaging embellishments. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The border is stupendous. The addition of the buttons takes it from "using up my stash" to "thoughtfully considered application of embellishment". I also recognized that the balloons resembled the glasses. And those penguins look like they could be too much fun. I bet they get blamed for a lot of shenanigans at that hotel.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great layout!!!!
    I have to say when I first saw the red penguin, first thing that came to me was giant peeps, lol.
    I like how you have the embellishments going up the side of your layout :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the detail on the left side and the positioning of the photos... the glasses work so well I almost thought they were part of the pattern paper!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A fabulous border using up all those items from your die cut embellies and Sherrie's right about the addition of the buttons. Great way to use up the promo picture at the top there to really set the scene. A fun take on the sketch and the challenge - go you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really like all those die cuts down the side!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the divided page design with the tilted/layered embellishment border on one side! The alphas for your title are really cute!

    ReplyDelete