photo menu-home   photo menu-gallery   photo menu-resume   photo menu-resume.png   photo menustudio1.png

01 May 2015

May 2015 Counterfeit Kit Challenge Blog Hop

Are you ready to step back in time to the very first counterfeit kit challenge that CKC ever put forth?

Let’s remember when:  The year was 2011, the month was January, and back then the perfect partnership, Bethany and Meridy, created the Counterfeit Kit Challenge and the blog that we all have grown to love.

Step 1: Jenni Bowlin’s 2010 December club kit is the one they chose as the first inspiration kit.

JBS Mercantile Dec 2010 kitDecember 2011

I remember having most of those patterned papers at one time or another.  Here is what I was able to find still in my stash.

DSC01535 
Step 2: Thinking back and looking back through my blog posts, I discovered I had joined in on the fun that very first month. Here was my first counterfeit kit.



All these still look very familiar to me; do I have any left?  Oh my, it looks like I did not kill that first kit.

DSC01533 
Step 3: Now it is time to see what other papers I have from those same makers – Jenni Bowlin, Graphic 45, Pink Paislee, Basic Grey, Studio Calico and Sassafras.

DSC01537

Step 4: Peeking back into the present, the Counterfeit gals added the April 2015 Magpie Kit from Jenni Bowlin to give us some additional options, albeit with a nostalgic feel.

jenni bowlin apr 2015

So thinking about the littler items, let me add some bingo cards, milk caps, doilies, red/black circular die-cuts, and apothecary labels. I snuck a few more sheets of paper in there too.   Oh yes, and tags, lots of tags (insider CKC info tells me to include tags, lots of tags!)

DSC01540

Do I need bank type documents, buttons, ribbon, doilies, and a silver label frame, perhaps?
Step 5: Is there anything in the inspiration kit that is iconic enough that I need to counterfeit it – maybe that set of white numbers on black circle tags?

DSC01541

And while there was nothing to say I couldn’t add a few new and trendy doo-dads, I opted to pull out other old standbys that tend to be forgotten these days – chipboard, flowers, buttons and journal cards/spots in sizes less than 3 x 4 all from my bits box.
Step 8: Here is my complete kit – Stepping Back in Time.

DSC01544

I may actually have every alphabet I could want in this kit with 7 options.

DSC01546 
Stash: Cardstock - red, green, yellow, kraft and natural

Basic Grey – June Bug Tea Party, Basics Table, laser-cut doily sheet

Graphic 45 – Domestic Goddess, Lady of the House and Quilting Bee papers

Studio Calico – Elementary Penmanship paper, white doilies, notion pinwheels

Jenni Bowlin – Red Circle Damask die-cut, Family Tree Die-cut, Bank Statement, Green crosshatch, Schoolhouse, Yellow text, Fancy Checks, alterable chipboard numbers, assorted journal cards

Sassafras Lass – Mix and Mend Free Composition and mixed flag banners, Life is Beautiful Piccadilly, Glitter alphabets in apple, chartreuse and nerdy

Pink Paislee – Sweetness Picture Perfect and Pretty Lace papers, matching canvas border, Bayberry Cottage Front Porch paper and ribbon pleats

Stampin Up – green cord buttons/brads, silver label frame, natural fabric rosettes, crochet doily, antique design ivory buttons

Maya Road – ornate tags chipboard, burlap ribbon, stickpins

7 Gypsies – Gem brads, Lille tags, apothecary labels  

Prima – gem flower centers, stickpin, red layered flowers

Jillibean Soup – newsprint chipboard alphabeans

Chic tags – red scallop journal spots

Making Memories – yellow metal flowers

Colorbok – small transparency

And a sprinkling of unidentified bits and bobs.
Strolling with friends: Now I hope you stroll down memory lane with all the other forgers too.

Have you enjoyed seeing these old and new kits as much as I have?

Did you know that I applied for the very first design team as soon as it was announced, and joined the team in March 2011.  The rest, as they say, is history.  What fun it has been fun stepping back in time!

Now let’s see if I can kill this kit better than that very first one.  Surely I’ve learned a scrappy thing or two since then and can make everything old look new again. 

23 comments:

  1. Is it really that long ago? You're scaring me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your kit has beautiful colours and a definite vintage feel. Your "notions by Studio Calico will look nice on layouts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! I love the way your collection really replicates the orange and green from Jenni's kit - those are two colors I never seem to use. I also like your embellishment selection - so many fun little items to play with (really like the green flowers and all those great tags).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am LOL that you still have bits of that very first kit together! I love your kit for this month, and it has been such fun to see everyone's take on the inspiration!And-our photography skills have definitely improved since the beginning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVING your picks!! These are great!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm most smitten with the green's in your kit. I have accumulated a lot and they work so well with outdoor pictures with the trees and grass. You did the kit marvelously; and, I look forward to all your mojo this month!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a fun kit that you built :) It was cool to see the one you did in 2011 too:) This sure has been a fun hop with all the nostalgia you all have of when the blog started and I'm so glad it did :) I like your approach to building the kit too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very well put together...and I am thrilled to actually spot some things that I have in my stash.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, I didn't realize there had been so many counterfeit kit challenges! I remember when it first started and always enjoy seeing what you come up with. The kit you've put together this month is definitely a favorite, and I wish I could just come over and "help" you kill you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. How funny that you still has left-overs from that first counterfeit ... you are so organised to have been able to *find* them too!
    The new kit is even better than the first - your counterfeiting experience shows!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think you are in your element this month, Susanne! So fun to travel down memory lane with you.
    This is a truly inspired vintage kit.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very nice kit. I am impressed that still had those papers and could find them. My mess is just that a mess and even though I just purged again a little over a month ago I still would be hard pushed to find any thing with out going through a lot of paper stash. Guess I need to organize again. I really like your kit. It seems warm and fun to play with.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi! I have resurfaced and checking out blogs. Look forward to see what you create with your kit. There are some goodies I see. Enjoy playing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. 'Stepping back in time' looks fresh and modern to me! Maybe you'll kill the whole kit this time!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is one mega kit! You will get a lot of mileage out of it.I started pulling "papers that would work" yesterday and I have about an inch already. This is so much fun to go back to the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm with Sian! How can it be 4 years ago?!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So fun to see that you still have some products left over from your 1st counterfeit challenge kit :)
    Looking forward to seeing how you create with this updated kit

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow. Your kit is amazing! I don't think I knew about this blog when the original was posted. I do have some of the papers in my stash though. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the feel of this ... Interesting how the vintage items actually look so 'now'!

    ReplyDelete
  20. So fun to see your very first kit! Your current kit looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fantastic looking kit, I'm sure it will be fun to work with once your "allergies" have subsided! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. It was seeing your original take on that first kit that got me involved too! Great use of those vintage items in your stash to make up a thrifty but modern looking take on that original. Very much you, very much your style of scrapping!

    ReplyDelete
  23. So fun that your participated in the very first round of CKC! Both then and now, you have created a beautiful and vintage kit. Great pops of green and red and your embellishments so perfect placed in your tray. Love it!

    ReplyDelete