photo menu-home   photo menu-gallery   photo menu-resume   photo menu-resume.png   photo menustudio1.png

06 June 2015

It is a Quick Trip

from the computer in my office to the island in the studio.  Of course, it doesn’t often happen that I am so inspired by a blog post read in the office to IMMEDIATELY walk those 25 paces (yes, I counted them) and start on a project right then.

But this a.m. I read blog friend Alexa’s post – Life, Mapped. And I was inspired to make the journey.  She made a beautiful Midori-style planner – quick, go take a look right now! I’ll wait.
 
You may or may not know that I already have one quite underutilized planner and do not need another.  But I did have a current need.  I always carry one or two small 3.5 x 5.5 books in my purse for jotting down notes – like which books I am still missing in a particular series I read, or more recently a new one that has measurements of windows and such at my son’s house so they are handy when he and I go shopping.  (Don’t’ get two excited, he’s been in the house 6 months, and we have shopped twice – see why I need to write down details to remember them.)  But now I have digressed.

DSC01951

I was much more focused earlier this a.m. and it occurred to me to adapt Alexa’s project for my own needs.  A durable cover to hold several little notebooks together would be very handy.  So I set about it.  These two little notebooks from Eccolo were buried in my stash.  Picked up at TJ Maxx several years ago, their damaged packaging caused them to be priced at 2 for $1.

DSC01953

I quickly looked and found Bazzill Basics Wayfarer paper – with a map like Alexa’s and in complementary colors to my notebook covers.  I cut the paper to size vertically, but added 2 1/2 inches in width so that I could fold it over to reinforce the edges of the cover.

I also scored the spine to be 1/2 inch tall, and then I laminated it on both sides.  I used Stampin Up gold twine (a little stretchy, but not too much) for the binding and looped it 3 times.  I decorated the front of each notebook with some Studio Calico washi tape and Authentique stickers.

DSC01954

In the middle I stuck a credit card wallet insert that was sitting unused in my desk drawer.  It will be great for holding stamps and address labels.  I added a little glitz using some Jenni Bowlin triangle sequins.  I had first wanted to put them on the outside, but not everything will stick to laminate.  Luckily the Doodlebug fleur de lis washi tape did.

DSC01955

I thought of gold washi tape, because my original idea was the use the black cord and an attached gold bow as the closure (it came off a candle I was burning yesterday).  I opted for the fleur de lis charm instead.

DSC01956

I use these little notebooks for very practical reasons, so I won’t be adding a lot of pretties to the inside.

DSC01957

Then again, one never knows.  Thanks, Alexa for the inspiration.
Back to blog reading!

12 comments:

  1. I am very excited to see your wonderful cover, Suzanne, and very honoured for the mention, thank-you! With such a lot of 'pretty' outside, you might not be needing more inside :). The fleur de lis charm is perfect with your tape ... Wishing you much pleasure in the using of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great and I think it will prove very practical as well as pretty. Funnily enough I have a cereal packet on the kitchen table right now, waiting to be cut to size.

    ReplyDelete
  3. darling~so sweet!!! Beautifully done:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So GORGEOUS! LOVING the map paper!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your fauxdori :)
    Such a great cover.
    I have been meaning to make one of these for a year or so…but it keeps getting put on the back burner.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh that is fun - and as I'm so late to reading blogs read about Alexa's only moments ago :) Hope they are useful and you actually get to go shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ah, map paper. just lovely!

    ReplyDelete