photo menu-home   photo menu-gallery   photo menu-resume   photo menu-resume.png   photo menustudio1.png

16 July 2015

Counterfeit Challenge #3–Alter An Embellishment

Just a quick post today to show you what I did for this challenge over at the Counterfeit Kit Challenge blog.

DSC02693

I am well into this using up the contents of this month’s counterfeit kit with a few exceptions that I am determined to use or lose.  One example:  these metal paper clips from Making Memories.  Another would be stick pins from Maya Road.  But first things first.

DSC02688

I don’t want to put the clips back in my stash because I think they have actually been in an earlier Counterfeit kit - where they were ignored.  But I do not like how they clip onto paper.  The best part of them is the epoxy top.  So I am going to see if I can snip off the clip part.  You may have noticed that on an earlier layout, I snipped off the pin part of those Maya Road leaf stick pins.


I like the shape of the metal border on the clips, because it reminds me of a punch that I have.  So I grabbed my cutting pliers and the pair of safety glasses I keep in the studio and tried my hand at it.  Unfortunately, it did not work out as I expected, and the clips broke along part of the decorative edges.  Slightly perturbed and yet undaunted, I used Undo to rescue the cute epoxy parts. I think the shape still works well with my paper.

DSC02694

I used Stampin Up’s Tags 4 You stamp set and matching punch for the sentiment.  I stamped and punched it out twice and put foam dimensional adhesive in between the two layers – sticking the leaf pins into the foam. And I called it done.  Now I feel justified in dismantling this kit and moving on without the clips - but dog-gone-it - I've still got several of those pins left! 

Today's take-away:  don’t be afraid to use only the best bits of the embellishments you have.  But if playing with pliers, do use safety goggles.  I’m serious!


Postscript:  I am also debating about tracing around those epoxy stickers in white or brown ink to mimic the edge they used to have.  What say you – yeah or nay?

7 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! LOVING the colors, the wood grain, the pins ... just LOVE it all!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a few of those style clips left over and you're right about how they attach to the paper and yes, I hardly ever use them! i would not have thought to chop them up though. I don't get that handy around my room but well done you! It's a gorgeous card and will make someone very happy. Ps. thanks ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think they look great as it, but tracing around them would make them pop a little more! Great job using up some stash!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you - if you aren't using them anyway, why not take a chance at altering them so you can at least use part of them. I think I would outline the epoxy pieces just to call a little more attention to them but really, your card is just lovely as it is now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brave You! I love your finished card and the epoxy bit adds a certain something to it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another time I would leave the epoxy piece intact and hide the metal part behind paper. Don't injure yourself trying to take things apart!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not fond of the way they clip to paper. I used a couple by slipping them onto a ribbon.

    ReplyDelete