photo menu-home   photo menu-gallery   photo menu-resume   photo menu-resume.png   photo menustudio1.png

12 July 2015

Counterfeit Kit Challenge–Use Old Tools

Sunday Sanctuary – a layout prompted by the Counterfeit Kit Challenge blog to use old tools
                                   for techniques on your page

sunday sanctuary

Story: Our pastor sent me a note a while back using this notecard that featured a pencil drawing of our church.  The church had notecards made up with the illustration having been drawn by Pastor's son.  Naturally, I had to save the card front to scrap.

Even though I am not musically inclined like the rest of my family, church music means a lot to me, so the staff lined paper and smaller music print punched from a larger sheet worked beautifully on this page.

Did you take note of the double-meaning of my page title?

Style: The challenge over at the Counterfeit Kit Challenge blog was to use old tools to do techniques on your page.  Here are old tools I employed.


2

First tool was an unopened bottle of Smooch Spritz.  Regular readers know what happened when I opened the bottle clumsily in that signature way I have (patent pending) and dumped quite a bit on my paper.  I was able to wipe most of the excess away as the paper was embossed with a lattice design to resist the color.  That which did not look so good became the perfect location for a floral cluster.  Those nice round dots of another color were not my doing, but pre-printed on the paper.

Secondly, the flat iron (which I would never use on my hair) flattens the ribbon that had been wrapped around cardboard.  Since the introduction of washi tape, I use much less ribbon even though I have many, many remnants wrapped up for storage. I found that if I don’t flatten it before attaching it to the paper, it will often pop up at the bends.

And thirdly, the stamp-a-ma-jig was used to place the stamped wording in the lower left hand corner; two stamps are used there not one.  Using the jig to get the placement just so was important because I had already finished the floral border.

Stash: My July 2015 Counterfeit Challenge kit, plus the Unity sentiment stamps, vellum for my journaling and the Smooch Spritz in Ice Blue.

23 comments:

  1. oh my my my!!! You use a flat iron for creases in ribbon!!! Where have I been!!! WHY haven't I thought of that!!!!! What a great idea! LOL about your signature 'opening' did make me giggle. Lovely page despite it!!!! And how special to have scrapped that card too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, how lovely! The sweet chorus line of flowers with wonderfully detailed centers is a fave, esp the tiny band of floral paper behind. Couldn't agree more about Sundays being that "day of rest" & refreshment in the Lord!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So gorgeous! LOVING those flowers and the music paper!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful page. No one would no you spilled Spritz on it. Love the boarder of flowers along the bottom. May have to try that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful layout - the flowers are so lovely. Not sure I would risk my GHDs on ribbon but as I often put my ironing board up as an extra flat surface when I'm crafting (I don't have a craft room) it isn't too much trouble to grab the iron for ribbons.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is beautiful! What a great pencil drawing on that card, perfect to save & scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that you used your older tools! Very lovely page. The stamping looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so pretty! I love the colors, the sketched notecard and that you thought to create a page about your church and Sunday mornings.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely layout - really calming! Great idea to use older tools - something I think I need to do occasionally.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous flowers Suzanne and I've never heard of that stamp a ma jig. Must investigate.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have skills:) ~ this is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have skills:) ~ this is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is such a pretty page, especially that lovely line of flowers under your photo. Everything is very serene and restful as befitting your topic. I've never heard of the Smooch Spritz and don't own a stamp-a-ma-jig but I never would have thought of using a flat iron on ribbons - great idea! And with two daughters living at home for the summer, I've got one handy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your layout is stunning, Susanne! I love how you saved the card and used in as the focal point of your layout! And the double meaning of the title is great! Absolutely beautiful page!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful layout! Your choice of musical staff paper as your background is perfect and the re-purposed note card makes for a great way to document your church. Good for you for getting those lesser used tool out.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful layout. My stampamajig is not used very often. I do like the flat iron for straightening the ribbons. I pull ribbons for my kit then forget to put them on, so maybe I need to move my flat iron to the craft room
    Cindy F

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a softly pretty page. Love the S-A-M-J for placing sentiments.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful layout.
    Love that you added the note card.

    ReplyDelete
  19. my straighteners are only EVER used on my hair! Too often as well - I like to give it a break from time to time :-) - but I know what you mean about those bendy ribbons. To be honest, that's probably why I hardly ever use ribbons any more. LOL! What a delicate page you've made - love it. Such delightful colours.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well done on getting those old tools out - lovely flowery border and I like the quote.

    ReplyDelete