photo menu-home   photo menu-gallery   photo menu-resume   photo menu-resume.png   photo menustudio1.png

06 August 2015

August Counterfeit Challenge #1–Blank Canvas

The first challenge this month over at the Counterfeit Kit Challenge blog is to start with a blank canvas – that is, to use white cardstock for the background of your project.  Truly white, white space.

As you may know, I’m doing cards this months, so here are a few that fit the bill.

1)  One of the nicest ways to employ a white background is to simply emboss it.  Here I used a Sizzix folder called Flowers (original, huh?).  Then I topped the flowers with 3 glittered butterflies from Jolee’s, stamped a sentiment from Stampin Up’s Noteworthy stamp set on a Freckled Fawn label which I gussied it up with a flower button and thread. Easy peasy, pretty pleasing!

I think the white background works well with my limited pink and yellow color scheme and the delicate embellishments.  By the way, my current go-to plain white cardstock is from Papertrey.


august cards

2)  This second card uses some glossy card stock from Stampin Up.  I am not really a fan of glossy cardstock because it usually requires special ink for stamping, and the slick surface is well ... slick.  I have had little luck getting even Staz-on to stay on evenly.

I made a Freckled Fawn washi tape border around the edges, making sure the patterns flows in only one direction.  I even mitered the corners; so simple because washi cuts so easily with a craft knife.  Then I layered two doilies and punched a scalloped shape to echo the doilies that I placed under my die-cut in the center.  The addition of the glossy metal dots really picks up the glossy cardstock.

august cards-001

What do these cards have in common?  Well, the fact that I used a mix of flat and glossy/sparkly elements when working with white and pastel colors.  Keep that in mind next time you play with white cardstock.

8 comments:

  1. These are beautiful! LOVING the colors!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both very pretty cards Suzanne.I like the 2nd one best but I am partial to yellow & green. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The embossing really adds a nice finishing touch to your first card and I really like what you did with the washi on the second one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The embossing on the first card really appeals to be. I forget to do that so often. I ought to start a list of techniques to remember!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I sorted my embossing folders and embossing powders this week - looking forward to playing with both. I love embossed backgrounds for cards, such a nice way to add interest.

    ReplyDelete