photo menu-home   photo menu-gallery   photo menu-resume   photo menu-resume.png   photo menustudio1.png

07 August 2015

Challenge YOUrself #21

Time for the latest (and greatest) challenge from the Challenge YOUrself blog.
challenge yourself 21
Oh, the possibilities here are nearly endless.  I was tempted to use this bookmark and do a page about reading – but honestly, I’m “listening” more than reading these days – so it didn’t seem quite right.

DSC02687

Then I came across this picture of me snapped by one of the kids when I was having “one of those days.”  They caught me smiling, nonetheless.  My head tilted back like that gave me this idea.

Keep Calm & Keep Smiling – a Challenge YOUrself layout


keep calm smiling

Story: “Sometimes the days when lots of little things go wrong are more trying than dealing with bigger problems.  That is, until I come to my senses, regain my equilibrium and am so very grateful all the problems are solvable.   I should never take that for granted.”

Style: I cropped a close-up of the photo and printed it 4 x 4.  Then I found this sheet of 4 x 4 squares by KI Memories.  I plopped myself in the middle, tilted me a tad more, to reinforce the idea of being off kilter and still smiling.  Then set about decorating the squares around the page.


 



I tried to do a couple of unexpected placements on the embellishments – the star on today and the crossed washi tape with dots. I hope they add interest – and if they distract from the photo – all the better!!
  Winking smile 

Stash: KI Memories Flashback paper, alphabets and stitched borders, plastic stars
Heidi Swapp acrylic die-cut words
A Flair for Buttons and Two Peas flair
Teresa Collins enamel dots
We R Memory Keepers, Becky Higgins & Stampin Up washi tapes
Heidi Grace square fabric brad

Do stop over at the Challenge Yourself blog to see what the other design team members have done with this prompt.  Like I said, the possibilities are nearly endless.  So keep calm and scrap YOUrself!

But first ---- answer this:  "To cut or not to cut, that is the question."

When you get a 12 x 12 sheet that has 3 x4, 4 x 4 or 4 x 6 sections on it (PL type cards), do you cut them apart right away, or leave them intact and only cut the ones out as you use them? Do you store them differently then?"

I start out cutting just the ones I want, because I may want to use a bigger section if I know there are "cards" there I won't use. However, when I put the kit away, I always cut up the leftovers and clip the good ones together with the sku strip for my pocket pages, and put the rest into scraps.

I like the feeling of having "dealt with" those papers. What do you do?  Cut or not cut?

8 comments:

  1. That is a wonderful moment captured Suzanne....such a happy photo and a beautiful smile. Love the page.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love love love this! LOVING the grid design and loving that title!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the end result using the 4x4 cards and your photi sitting on top. Great photo, despite having one of thos days!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute! Love all the little embellishment areas and the sun and clouds stitched along the top.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nah! You don't want to detract from that lovely smile!

    I very rarely find a PL card on one of those sheets that I want to use so I keep mine intact and most often use the patterned side

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's such a lovely page ... And photo and what a good reminder to smile! We all have those days when it seems pretty hard to do so...
    Thanks so much for visiting my blog too ... Really kind of you to leave me some comments

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super layout. I really like the HS words and the star in the loop. Nice touch. I might have to lift the prompt sometime for a WM challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the way you've tilted the photo and decorated the page.

    When I find pages with cards like that - on the presumption I like the back design as well I only cut out the ones I want and then file the rest as pp.

    ReplyDelete