photo menu-home   photo menu-gallery   photo menu-resume   photo menu-resume.png   photo menustudio1.png

12 October 2015

October Counterfeit Challenge #2

Over at the Counterfeit Kit Challenge the second challenge this month is to try our hand at a 3-D paper project.  Well, given that my kit was put together for pocket pages, I had to think on this one.
So I thought, and then I squinted my eyes and tried think smaller and then even smaller yet.  I decided to play with my punches and my pocket cards and see what I could do.

DSC03744

And here’s what I did.  I made pumpkin place cards.

DSC03735

Cute, huh?  I think it would have been even more convincing if I had used "Pumpkin Pie"  cardstock instead of "Tangerine Tango".  Put I don't have any of that color left.  So I have to use what I have and you have to use a little imagination.  It's October, you can manage that, right?

Here are the quick steps I took.
  • Punch out 1 scalloped circle from a patterned project life card. (This will form the “inside slice” of the pumpkin and will face front.)
  • Punch out 5 more from a coordinating piece of cardstock. (You can use as many as you want to make the pumpkin fuller.)
  • Score all 6 down the middle being careful to score between two of the outside scallops, and not in the middle of one of the scallops.
  • Fold and crease thoroughly.
  • Cut the bottom two scallops off so that the pieces will be flat on the bottom.
  • Glue the pieces together.  (If you don’t get them matched up precisely, you can ink the edges to help disguise that.)
  • Punch leaves from green patterned paper – flip paper to reverse and punch another so that leaves go in two directions. (No need to flip if you are using solid cardstock.)
  • Insert leaves into the top.
  • Punch shapes for a stand and a tag for the name to appear. 
  • Add button for that last touch.
DSC03736DSC03738DSC03739DSC03742

You could do the same with a pumpkin punch – remembering that if it were not perfectly symmetrical you’d need to reverse every other piece when assembling.  If you were starting from full size cardstock and patterned paper, you could get an entire tableful of these from just a couple of sheets of each.

DSC03745

As a variation, you could attach the name at the top using a tiny paperclip or clothespin, just be careful about making it too top heavy.

So there’s my little bitty 3-D project.  Do pop over to the Counterfeit Kit Challenge to see what other design team members have done.

7 comments:

  1. Very inventive! What a cute idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! I think the color is perfect.!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMYGOSH!!!!!! I am IN LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are absolutely adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a neat idea for place cards...gotta love them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is very cute and very resourceful. Every year at Christmas I plan to be all up market and make place cards but don't. Maybe this year I will...

    ReplyDelete