photo menu-home   photo menu-gallery   photo menu-resume   photo menu-resume.png   photo menustudio1.png

07 October 2015

ScraptoberFest Challenge

Susie – A Layout For the ScraptoberFest Challenge

susie layout-001 

Scraptoberfest Challenge: Challenge YOUrself is teaming up with 3 other challenge sites to make October a very scrappy month – it’s a ScraptoberFest!!

Let me remind you of the challenges:

scraptoberfest

Scrap Our Stash - Stash Challenge (2 different washi tapes)
Challenge YOUrself - Prompt Challenge (include yourself, of course!)
My Scraps & More - Color Challenge
scrapoctcolors
The Memory Nest - Sketch Challenge
scrapoctsketch


Story: Susie, who?  Actually, that is me.  My family, especially my brothers, have always called me Susie.  I am loving the young sound of it more and more these days!


susie2


This photograph is of me at 4 months old, sitting on a blanket under the large sycamore tree in our front yard.  Because it is an original photo, I chose not to crop it – having lots of background enforces the idea that I am very small.  Besides, I like that the neighbor’s house behind me is included; it was there the entire time I was growing up, after all.

Style: I tackled all four challenges on the same layout.  That is not required or even necessary – you can do four separate layouts or mix and match any number of them.

I used lots of older items in my stash.  First, I pulled Rich Razzleberry and Crushed Curry cardstocks from my Stampin Up stack.  Those two colors caught my eye first, and they work well together.  Instead of using two photos side by side, I was going to use a single photo offset on a larger mat.  I went in search of paper in my bin of 6 x 6 paper pads.  I found this one with the dragonfly and leaves that would work perfectly with the metal dragonfly I had recently rediscovered.

susie3

Besides, it was the third paper I found that would work, and I have a 3 paper rule when choosing paper.  I have to stop looking after I find 3 papers that would work on my layout and choose one.  It is one way I keep from wasting time by overthinking my choices.

Then I set about adding layers around that pretty nostalgic paper. I used the Crushed Curry and Rich Razzleberry but softened them with the Close to Cocoa and a mellow green taken from the second paper in lieu of the teal color suggested.  I did not use navy. I wanted my photo to be the central focus so I made most of the layers quite narrow.  At the thickest point of the layout there are 7 layers!

The two types of washi tape were added along the right side, with one repeated in the top corner.  Because I am looking up in the photo, I wanted there to be something in my line of sight to keep the viewer’s eyes on the page.  It serves to add balance as well.

susie1

A pretty scalloped sticker that echoed nicely the deckle edge of my photo holds my journaling and adds to the diagonal flow.  Of course, the large title suits this scrapper to a tee.  This is a very old K & Company chipboard set that I misted and inked to suit.  It needs more coats of ink to darken it before I put this in an album.

Stash: Cardstock – Bazzill Cream Puff, Stampin Up rich razzleberry, crushed curry, close to cocoa
Patterned paper – Prima Botanical
Alphabet – K & Company
Washi tape – Teresa Collins and Pink Paislee
Buttons – Stampin Up
Stamp – Stampin Up Fine Lace
Stickers – Basic Grey
Dragonfly – Bo Bunny or Prima?
Puffy Stickers – Pink Paislee

Stops: I hope you will now make your way around to all the challenge sites linked above to see what everyone has done.  It will be a ScraptoberFest feast for the eyes, I dare say!

10 comments:

  1. So gorgeous! LOVING the colors and loving that photo of you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's such a cute picture. Your page has a lovely delicate feel to it..very nice indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an adorable picture of you and such a gorgeous page!!! Thanks for sharing about the Scraptober Fest!! So fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just beautiful. I love the framing of the photo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful layout! Not cropping the photo was a great decision and I love the rich colors you used. (And I think I will be adopting your "3 paper rule"!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a soft and pretty look - perfect for that great photo :). And yes, so important to leave in the background to remind you and set the context. The little bits of soft orange-y peach are lovely with the raspberry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is lovely! And way to go tackling all the challenges at once! That corner treatment in the top right corner caught my eye right away - perfect for keeping the layout in balance. I also really like the washis and the little border strips. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a nice layout for such an adorable photo. That raspberry colour was definitely a good choice and I love the pop of yellow in your name.

    ReplyDelete
  9. the colours remind me so much of something but I can't quite put my finger on it! it'll come to me. Really really really like this layout and that photos is adorable. what a happy little thing you are. I like that you've used the original with the lovely wavy edges even though I'm sure I would have scanned it and used that! I like Susie! Sounds cute.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is beautiful and touching, Susanne! I love the photo, your journaling and your creative take on the sketch! Your page ROCKS, my friend!

    ReplyDelete