photo menu-home   photo menu-gallery   photo menu-resume   photo menu-resume.png   photo menustudio1.png

21 December 2015

Life Can Be Rough and/or Christmas Turns Around

Life Can Be Rough, Lil’ Brother – a Scrapbook Challenge sketch challenge layout



Start:

Sketch 463 from the Scrapbook Challenge blog.

Style:




Story:
I had set aside the plaid paper you see there as being perfect for a fall or masculine page.  But it wasn’t until I saw this black and white picture of my younger brother sitting in the front yard of our childhood home, with that look of frustration on his face, that I was motivated to use it to tell this story.

“LIFE CAN BE ROUGH,
. . . when your older brothers have moved out of the house
. . . when you’re surrounded by three sisters close to you in age
. . . when those sisters are always around, they outnumber you and often pick on you; or at least, that is how you see it.
. . . yes, life can be rough, until Mom sees your predicament and treats you as her favorite to balance things out.”

I stuck pretty close to the sketch, but opted for chevrons instead of scallops – they are more macho.  My “cross-stitching” was made easy by utilizing the pattern on the paper to get it perfectly spaced. I placed the chipboard directly on the photo to help mitigate the blown out part of the picture.  Sometimes you have to make those concessions when working with old photos.

Stash: SEI Oasis cardstock, Basic Grey PB&J paper and chipboard, Echo Park Made From Scratch paper, My Mind’s Eye Surf’s Up paper, Stampin Up Petal Parade stamp set, chevron punch and Night of Navy ink


Now why not hop over to the Scrapbook Challenges blog and see what the other design team members have done.

#################

Postscript:  It is Monday, and it is indeed quite Christmassy around here. Lovely how things can turn around in a week. Tree is up, presents wrapped (excepting one) and all the non-Christmas chaos is relegated to a single room on which we have closed the door (literally and figuratively).

No time for a full-blown Me on Monday tour because Windows Live Writer is still not working.  Surprise - surprise, I made it worse by trying to fix it.  One Live Writer (a fledgling open source replacement) also not working.  So I piggybacked onto this post, drafted ages before WLW quit on me.  My 2016 blogging may be very short if I cannot figure out a work-around for the tables I insert in my posts.

Speaking of posts, I scrolled through 300+ yesterday before church and commented on a number that you can assume is less than 300 (wink, wink) to be caught up without deleting.  I am a little jealous that many of you make your Christmas preparations look effortless.  Now I'm off to plan our Christmas food with college girl who is quite handy in the kitchen. Bye with a wink, but not a wave!!

14 comments:

  1. Love your layout. I've used that plain before. I think it's perfect with a black and white photo---the colors are not so bright as to take away from the photo. Cross-stitching is the perfect touch. I also like the journaling directly on the pattern paper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great layout - such wonderful journaling and I love that little house you placed at the top of the photo too. Enjoy your Christmas preparations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a beautiful and touching lo! I loveeeeeeee the journaling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you get your blogging issues sorted soon. I'm not sure I would have even scrolled through 300+ unread posts, never mind read and commented on some. Lovely LO, I like the mix of colours.
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done with great journaling! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your journaling is sweet and this page is wonderful. I really like what you did with the design too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This page is stunning. Love the story too. Have a great holiday with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a lovely combination of papers. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ugh on the blogging problems - Feedly has been misbehaving causing problems here. Lovely page and journalling.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an amazing page!! LOVE how you did the "big" title!! Merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. well done looks awesome! Love the blue and orange together!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great page and the diagonal line you've created with the little extras you added are perfect. Fun story and what a super photo of your brother.

    ReplyDelete