photo menu-home   photo menu-gallery   photo menu-resume   photo menu-resume.png   photo menustudio1.png

28 December 2015

Presents of Christmas Past

Presents of Christmas Past – a Scrapbook Challenges layout

DSC04260-001 

Start: Scrapbook Challenges Sketch 464

sbcsketch464

Story: “We all remember some favorite Christmas presents from our childhood. At our house, we always received lots of games that we could play together – Parcheesi, Sorry, Battleship, Trouble, Stratego and others. While I seem to have a death grip on that telephone, it was not my all-time favorite gift; that would have to be my Easy Curl set of hot rollers from Kenner, even though I burned my fingers and the top of my ears a time or two. I remember Sheila running downstairs the Christmas she was expecting a play guitar from Santa – and it was there. Tommy was probably most excited about pistols and holsters – anything to help him even the odds against those three sisters.”

An aside:  Here’s a snap I found online of the curler set for those of you who are curious.easycurlbykenner 

Style: The most obvious way in which I adapted this sketch was to replace the one large star with a cascade of snowflakes – bejeweled and splattered snowflakes.  I originally thought about die-cutting a Christmas tree but that seemed a bit pedantic.  Once I had decided on the snowflakes, the page fell together quickly.  I added a top and bottom border because the flakes needed somewhere to begin and somewhere to land.

I rarely use photos as small as 2 x 3 so I substituted one 3.5 x 5 and a 3.5 by 2.5 inch journal tag.

Stash: Patterned papers – Carta Bella and Webster’s Pages
Journal card and tag – Chic Tags
Alphabet – Hardcover by Thickers
Small alphabet – October Afternoon
Snowflakes – Bazzill Basics
Jewels – Doodlebug Designs
Mists – Studio Calico

13 comments:

  1. I like the layout & thanks for include the sketch - yes this is one to scraplift & keep. Lovely memories about Christmas past's gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great design and page. Like the journaling typed right on the paper. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sooooooooooo gorgeous! LOVING that photo and loving the snowflakes!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lovely page and I love stories. I saw a photo of a hairdryer I had when I was a teen - it bought back so many memories, just like your Easy Curlers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a lovely page! The combination of that blue and the red with white is so lovely. What a great story - I don't remember this curler set but I do remember putting them in my hair as a teenager!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the snowflakes scattered like that. I didn't have curlers but suspect they'd not have worked on my straight-as-a-stick hair anyhow. How fun you found the photo :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awwww such a sweet photo :)
    Great layout and fun story about your past Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely LOVE that photo! You scrapped it in such an amazing way! What a wonderful and beautifully designed page! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Susanne, this is a gorgeous layout and what a great photo!
    Hugs Lynsey x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a great story! I don't think I have either the memories or the photos! A really lovely page and I really like the adaptation to the sketch you made. A wonderful look back in time!

    ReplyDelete