photo menu-home   photo menu-gallery   photo menu-resume   photo menu-resume.png   photo menustudio1.png

31 December 2015

This I Believe . . . About Scrapbooking

It is the end of another year of scrapbooking.  Time for a look back at a few fave layouts and a bit of self-reflection . . . if you will permit me.

I have been doing this . . . scrapbooking that is . . . for a long time.  These things I know are true.  Some of you might see the universal truths in them too:

1.  One can never have too much patterned paper, one can only have too little storage.

2.  Someone else can find a use for the patterned paper one has no room to store.


3.  It is okay for one to toss that last little scrap of paper when one is sick to death . . . creative death, that is . . .  of the pattern.

4.  One will scrap easier, faster, more coordinated pages if one uses a limited number of supplies, like a kit.

5.  Kit club subscriptions are fun, and for ones among us lacking the willpower to pass up the add-on kits, a guaranteed method of increasing one’s stash beyond one’s storage.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-aGyIWR72N6A/VXXplaNAF1I/AAAAAAAATek/JyruuHAL2v8/s640/me%2Band%2Bmy%2Bkids-001.JPG

6.  One can never have too many embellishments, one can only have too little efficiency in how one organizes them.

7.  One has to be in the mood to scrapbook, forced creativity always shows in the finished product . . . even if only to the one forcing it.

8.  Scrapbooking is a shared sport . . . if one is not following at least a few other paper players, one is missing out on the fun and the benefit of their experiences.


https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-NicHHYINamI/Va920-UTQvI/AAAAAAAA1Rk/pM0YmYF_MjM/s2048-Ic42/note%252520to%252520self_thumb%25255B3%25255D.jpg


9.  Scrapbooking classes can only take one so far . . . at some point, it all becomes one’s willingness to play around with new ideas.

10. No one can scrap one’s pictures as well as one can, because nobody cares about one’s pictures as much as one does!

11.  No one else’s scrap style suits one as well as one’s own, in whatever way that may evolve as one continues to scrap.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-HexjosvV2ws/VhquEGxEtsI/AAAAAAAA3S0/MR5Beqp3x28/s2048-Ic42/brewhouse%252520brunch_thumb%25255B4%25255D.jpg



12.  One can never possess too many memories to scrap; yet inexplicably, one can possess too much memorabilia that will ultimately not be used to scrap said memories.

13.  One should never toss supplies because one believes they are no longer trendy, as one will regret it a few years hence when one's discards are, quite inevitably, in style again.



14.  One can never have too many albums, only too many half-filled albums (there's a lesson in the downside of not scrapping chronologically buried in those albums).

15.  One can never have too little time to scrapbook, only too little determination to make time.

What a happy coincidence that there are 15.  Any one of these strike a chord with any one of you?

10 comments:

  1. 8 and 12 resonate with me - and what a fine display of your own variety in styles which always makes popping in here so pleasureable. Sending warmest good wishes for 2016.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First off, I love your layouts. You have a knack for layering. I'm going to use the first layout as a reminder to myself to do that more. Your 15 "points" are more like a Scrapbook Manifesto. I think #11 speaks to me. I sort of disagree with #10---as I'm starting a "round-robin" with my AYM group. I've encouraged them to select a group of photos they have been putting off scrapbooking and letting someone else do them. We'll see how that goes. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally agree on it all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love them all (and those layouts too) but 6, 8 & 10 really speak to me. Happy 2016!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The only one I might not quite be nodding my head at is the last one. If I have limited time and a choice between scrapbooking an old memory, or going out and making a new one I'll choose the new one every time. Oh, and I agree with Barbara: I think a fresh pair of eyes can make someone else's photo shine

    Wishing you all good things for 2016. here's to many more beautiful pages!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They all strike a chord! My scrapping year started off great but then came a grinding halt. I love year end recaps and will be doing one of my own soon.
    Rinda

    ReplyDelete
  7. 8 strikes a real chord because I know the joy and enrichment I've found through the communities I'm part of. You are part of that for me ;-) But 1, 6 and 7 are up there too. Not sure about the point made in 13 - I think it's important for me to toss out stuff that I don't love any more and that's usually because the trend is gone. And when it's gone, then I forget about it and look forward to buying more. :-) What a great list though and makes me think I should "borrow" this idea for myself! Happy scrapping in 2016 and I looking forward to crafting with you in the next 12 months!

    ps. thanks for noticing and commenting about my one word kit names ;-) it's become a real "thing" for me and I'm not ready to give up yet!

    pps. what a lovely collection of pages - the first about brothers is a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the layout with your grandmother. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great observations about this FUN hobby! I relate to so many of these, but my favorite is the "shared sport." I do think it's so much better when we share our creations and enjoy those of others!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great set of thoughts and fun. I like the pages you've created here too.

    ReplyDelete