photo menu-home   photo menu-gallery   photo menu-resume   photo menu-resume.png   photo menustudio1.png

20 January 2016

Home Town–Iconic St. Louis

Home Town – Iconic St. Louis – a Scrapbook Challenges  layout




Start: sbcjanrecycleit

This month’s Recycle It Challenge includes the prompt to use mixed media.  I do not do mixed media – as in, I have not done mixed media in the past.  This is a new year, a fresh start, so a new skill might be fun – maybe baby steps.  Also tying into the fresh start theme, I chose to scrap about St. Louis, my home town, where I took my original baby steps.

Style: I selected and tweaked center sketch 418 above.  To keep it simple, I mixed gelato and gesso to stencil the line of fleur de lis across the top of my page. Why the fleur?  Well, St. Louis was established by French explorers and named after a French king, so you see the French sign of royalty - the fleur de lis - often used there.

The gelato and gesso mixed easily on a palette and was easy to daub onto a stencil using a foam brush. I learned the hard way that it takes quite a bit of gelato to color the gesso and then the mixture doesn’t go as far as you would think.

fleur detail

Because this was my first try and I had limited time, I did not want to make another batch, presuming a color match was not likely to work out.  So I gave up on the idea of a second line across the bottom, and opted instead to stamp some larger fleur in chalk ink around the page, and use washi tape to anchor the bottom.  You will also notice that there are fleur shapes on the chipboard and in the transparency doily design too.

I will definitely investigate more ways to use gesso on my pages in the future.  Also, I am glad that navy and blue are making a comeback in scrapping colors.  When trying to match that gelato blue I noticed that my blue stash is pretty limited in true blues as it tends toward teals and turquoises.

Story: “Even on a cloudy dreary rainy day like this one, it is a treat to see the Gateway Arch as we cross the Mississippi River bridge.  This weekend we also visited the zoo and then drove past the Bevo Mill restaurant, an icon of South St. Louis, where I grew up in the ‘60s and ‘70s.  It is making a comeback and we discovered a trendy brewhouse.”  (A fresh start for them too?)

Stash: I used my January counterfeit stash kit called Sweetbriar Rose and added in different alphabets, enamel dots, washi tape and chipboard.  This stencil was by Creative Imaginations.

12 comments:

  1. Well done on trying something new! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another thing we have in common! St. Louis is my hometown too!! I grew up in north St. Louis---worlds apart from the south! I've been gone for 40 years now, but get back at least 3 or 4 times a year. There's something about seeing the arch that says we're "home!" Love your layout!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhhhhhhhh this is gorgeous! LOVING the colors and the photos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I noticed a beautiful blue in Shimelle's new collection. I'm glad it's back. It certainly looks good on this lovely page.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great page, layout and typography. We've been to St. Louis!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done in giving those baby steps in mixed media...Love your layout of your home town.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful layout Susanne :) Joy to see your city through your layout :) I think these types of layouts should be created a great way to know of something we haven't seen :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great layout - love all the different shades of blue!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like all the blues on this layout & great job with your first mixture of gesso & gelatos!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh this is nice, I don't have gelatos but do have gesso and paints.

    ReplyDelete
  11. well done for trying something new - kudos! I don't do anything wet these days other than mist. I like the subtlety of those larger fleur de lys - pretty!

    ReplyDelete