photo menu-home   photo menu-gallery   photo menu-resume   photo menu-resume.png   photo menustudio1.png

18 January 2016

Memorandum Monday–Technology Embraced

It’s Monday – what’s new?  Windows 10!

A smooth, uneventful transition to Windows 10!  Yippee skippee.   The installation went well – just over 2 1/2 hours.  More time than that was spent pre-installation clearing space off our external hard drive to back up files, just in case (a case that did not come into play, thankfully).

This is a non-event for most people, but we procrastinating technophobes need to take our little victory laps when we can.  (Tempting fate as we do so.)  I switched out our 10+ year old Dell printer which didn’t really work with Windows 8.1 and would not work at all with 10.  We have swapped it for the HP printer that we bought for college girl, who doesn’t need it at college and left it behind.
Hubby is thrilled that he can now print wirelessly from downstairs.  Smaller than the Dell, good for elbow room, but not as tall as the Dell which stood in for a bookend.  A little desk rearranging was necessary – a little cleaning did not hurt either.

The printer installation experienced a little hiccup which meant that I was nearly late for Bible study.  When there I realized I still had my house shoes on.  Nobody noticed.  It was our first time back in the New Year and everyone was very very chatty.  I chose a new seat too this new year – perhaps it will come with new perspective. I do know it is not situated in the draft created by the room heater near my old seat.  I am still contemplating a journaling Bible, but that may be too much radical change for this conservative Lutheran!

But back to things that plug into the wall.  Both our paper shredder and postal scale have died since Christmas.  I guess 15 years is a pretty good life span for both, I remember getting them both when I became a SAHM and started selling Longaberger baskets on eBay.  I was quite pleased at how much nicer replacements I was able to get for much less money than I spent last time. Thank you, Amazon.com.

DSC04652

Also, I have managed to set up my Shotbox, which arrived the prior week (yes, another instance of technology procrastination, I told you).  The hope is no more blurry dreary day photos of layouts.  I plan a proper review once I have perfected using it.  Here’s my first shot taken with my point and shoot and I can see I need to think about reflections and such – but I am already loving the seamless backdrop. The set-up was so simple, that the Shotbox came with only a single sheet of instructions, and no guidance on using it.  What do you want to bet I can find something online in that regard?


DSC04650

That’s the memo, this Monday.  Do give Sian @Fromhighinthesky a wave and let us know what’s new with you.

16 comments:

  1. Lots of new things - great to see they've all been successful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here, Windows 10 is good; but the new laptop is dropping the internet connection in a way I haven't experienced for years. So we need to get that sorted. I'm impressed by the length of time your shredder has lasted. We are obviously buying inferior models here and burning through them too quickly.

    Have a good week

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have Shotbox envy! ......and am still procrastinating over Windows 10! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm looking forward to your review of the Shotbox - it's very tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a bunch of NEW going on at your place. Looks like the Shotbox is going to be great for taking photos! Still need to install Windows 10 on the laptop, but so far it's going well on the desktop!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so want a shotbox! Can't wait to see your review! Maybe that will be just the push I need to get it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that everything worked out! Can't wait to hear your thoughts on the Shotbox!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are just so technical for me ;)
    I do like your shotbox....I tried to make my own...but couldn't get the lighting right.

    ReplyDelete
  9. that's a whole lot of changes! Does your shot box allow you to take full square on photos? That's the biggest problem for me with my layouts - my inability to take full square on photos. I must have a slight problem with my eyes but it doesn't matter how many shots I take, not a single one is square. They all have tilted sides! I've got myself some foam boards for now but looking forward to hearing more about this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Technology can be so darn scary. Yet, we've all come to rely on it so much, that we just have to make the leap! I recently got a new MacBook Air. I was certain I had everything backed up---at least according to my old computer---only to find that the data was not there. I lost so much. I managed to remain calm. One month later, it really hasn't mattered all that much. Thank goodness for the cloud---at least some important things were saved. Good luck with getting used to Windows 10---it's always a period of adjustment when you try something new. At least for me it is.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh, I definitely need a review of the Shotbox! My set-up just isn't cutting it in the dreary winter weather x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have a love/hate relationship with new technology, and you've had to deal with lots of it all at once, it seems. Shudder. I agree about the journaling Bible. Love the examples I see on Pinterest, but the time it takes seems to defeat the purpose of Bible study? Still wrestling with that...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I guess I will change to 10 when I have to. Scared!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've taken the step of changing to Apple. I've always been a Windows girl so having a little technical melt down at the moment lol

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am too much of a sissy to upgrade to Windows 10. Too afraid of whether my printer will work with it. I love that Shot box.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hoping that technology is now sorted and enjoying the shot box shots.

    ReplyDelete