photo menu-home   photo menu-gallery   photo menu-resume   photo menu-resume.png   photo menustudio1.png

19 February 2016

It Changed My Life

Okay, that’s a bit dramatic.

It changed my scrapbooking.

What’s this, S?

ECBARF
 
If you are member over at Get It Scrapped, you probably know what I am talking about.
If you listened to the Paperclipping Roundtable podcast this week, you got a taste of it.

Still lost – ECBARF?
  • Emphasis
  • Contrast
  • Balance
  • Alignment
  • Repetition
  • Flow

This is Debbie Hodge’s quick laundry list of design principles – a starting point, the very basics.  And I believe, if you get these right, you will be happier with your pages. I have been.

There is more to learn about design, of course,
  • color
  • focus
  • white space
  • texture
  • dimension
  • motif
  • and others I cannot recall off the top of my head.

And therein, my friends, lies the beauty of ECBARF.

I run through the quick laundry list in my head and then either I am satisfied with the page or know it needs more work.  It makes it less intimidating.  It makes me a faster scrapper. It makes me a more confident scrapbooker. I can focus more on the story if I am less worried about the design.

Now, don’t get me wrong, because I still get it wrong.  I have not internalized design principles to the point where I don’t have to think about them at all.  I don’t have a natural eye for it.  I am not in the league of over-the-top scrapbookers who are consistently published, who hold those coveted kit club and manufacturer design team spots, who have their own product lines, and/or who teach us how to scrapbook.  But for an ordinary scrapbooker, I have improved.  Allow me that humble brag, because that is as far as I will take it – I am better than I used to be. Like Debbie and Noell talked about, anyone can improve their creative skills and develop their eye for design.

And that’s why I’m still over at Get It Scrapped taking in the latest two membership learning tracks -

http://debbiehodge.com/ClassMaterials/Graphics/classicon/track01-mes.jpg http://masterfulscrapbookdesign.com/images/ConfidentDesigner-260.jpg

While this post is dangerously close to a commercial, it points out the benefit of a design checklist – it will make you more efficient, give you more confidence.

Now excuse me, I need to study a little more and get even a little better. 

6 comments:

  1. It's really great to have a formula to make sure you're covering all of the basics on your pages. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I needed some focus as I start to return to scrapbooking.
    Rinda

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've enjoyed the bits I've done of the M&E Scrapbooker (and have enjoyed that it's ME in there) and plan to start the other too.

    ReplyDelete