My answer is:
As I hinted before, I joined a new Challenge team -- The Studio Challenges. Why? Because, as documented in my layout yesterday, I am into trying out NEW things in 2016.
I have been lucky enough to enjoy every team I work on presently or have worked on in the past. It occurs to me that some of you may be considering joining a challenge design team for the first time. If so, would it be helpful if I told you my thought process for choosing ones that fit me to a tee.
Yes, S. How does one know a good fit?
I consider these factors:
- Is there a mix of types of challenges to enjoy - sketches and other options?
- How many assignments are required each month?
- How much advance notice is given on the assignments?
- How are the communication and the logistics of the team set-up?
- Does the timing fit in well with current commitments?
- Do the assignments give flexibility to tailor them to my own content?
- Does the challenge site facilitate clicks through to the designers’ blogs, so scrappers introduced to them at the challenge site can get to know them better at their own blogs?
Once I have served for a while, these additional questions pop up:
- Am I inspired by the team experience on the whole, learning as I go?
- Is the effort required sufficiently rewarded in one way or another?
- Has it begun to feel repetitive or could it simply be time for a change?
Each team has its own pace, pressures and pleasures. It is fun to be brave and try new ones out.
Some factors you may be able to judge beforehand, and others you can only assess after joining and participating. I enjoy the challenge of trying something new, especially when it means a good chance to meet other scrapbookers. Most design team terms that are not product-compensated are shorter in length, 6 months rather than 1 year. It gives both sides a chance to see if it is a good fit.
Sometimes it is happenstance that affords new opportunities to pop-up and offer a change right when you are open to one. Bingo – that’s what has just happened to me. It is not the first time that I have found a new site that I really liked and jumped in with both scrappy hands!
Life is like that. (Hmmm . . . that would be a good topic challenge for a layout!)
Postscript: Speaking of brave and as a throwback to Me On Monday, here’s an early morning shot of me in the studio. Before hubby is awake, before I have taken a shower, changed out of my jammies and the world’s lightest weight coziest sweater, un-wadded my hair and run a brush through it and before I’ve put my contacts in or makeup on! Breakfast and brushing my teeth are all that had been accomplished before I started to play with paper. When I think about it, this is the condition in which I most often scrapbook. I guess it is a good thing I don’t add this photo to design team applications, huh?