photo menu-home   photo menu-gallery   photo menu-resume   photo menu-resume.png   photo menustudio1.png

21 March 2016

Memorandum Monday–Catching Up After

After Spring Break – a couple of days in Nashville with college girl.  She is a bit of a foodie, so she picked and we experienced 2 new favorites -  Fido in the Hillsboro West End near Vanderbilt for breakfast and Sinema housed in the historic Melrose Theatre for dinner.  I will keep you in suspense on what else we did until I get the photos printed and maybe even scrapped.  We got a late start on spring break as she had been down with a nasty cold most of the prior week.  But she is well rested and restored now and back at school.

2016 March

After St. Patrick’s Day – on our way back home, we had a St. Patty’s Day lunch buffet complete with corned beef and cabbage as well as shepherds pie at Ellendale’s.

20160317_110327

After the Estate Sale Auction – aunt’s house, contents, firearms (yes, plural), and car all sold on Saturday.  All things considered, it went better than expected.  Just a little clean-up remains before the closing on the house, and this will all be behind us.  We are pleased that a young growing family will be moving into the old spacious rambling house.  The new owner works for his dad’s construction company, so they will be able to do the appropriate renovations.  You should have seen their excitement!

aunt's house

Until you’ve experienced it, you cannot fathom the amount of latent stress associated with the process of clearing up someone else’s estate.  The hard work of it wasn’t so bad, but why does there always have to be a bit of extended family drama associated with the passing of loved ones – even 3 months later.  I am so relieved to see the stress of that responsibility lifted off of hubby now that things are settled.  He spent most of Sunday recuperating in his recliner - fighting off a bug of his own.

Lessons learned – 1)  Downsize while you are still young enough and capable enough to do it yourself.  And 2)  If there are bequests of personal property that you have promised, implied or intended to make to extended family members – include them in your will or at least commit them to paper now!  Everyone will thank you for it.

DSC04956



















 
With Easter coming this weekend, and hubby traveling a bit this week, I am naively hopeful that I can catch up on some blog reading (already started at 3 a.m.) and maybe even finish a half-started layout that has been sitting in the studio for more than a week.  So if I don’t get around to Sian @FromHighInTheSky  and friends on this Memorandum Monday to see what all you have been up to – know that I am bound and determined and on the path to get caught up soon.  Never mind that I said that same thing two Mondays ago; now it might really happen.

14 comments:

  1. Can't wait to hear about your adventures in Nashville. Next time you'll have to visit Pancake Pantry in Hillsboro Village---very near Fido. Personally, we are always amazed at the long lines. "They're just pancakes---y'all!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like Nashville was fun!!! And glad to hear the estate is off your plate now! I am sure that's a relief!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to see Nashville, so I'm really looking forward to those pictures. And I think you are absolutely right about making sure who knows what is intended for whom. My Mum has reached a stage where, every time we visit she tries to give us things so we have them now. It's interesting watching her give away books, which she once guarded with her life almost.

    Wishing you a good week

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you had an amazing time :). Love checking out new places to eat too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Selling my parents home was so stressful, so I truly understand what you've said here xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can only imagine the stress you have been going through with your Aunt's estate. I think that is such sound advice about ensuring all those bits & bobs are sent off to who you want to have. I have been to Nashville several times as I have a sister who lived there for several years - always had good visits. So pretty in the spring.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gosh, you have been so busy ... Tying up all the ends is such a long experience - just as you think you have finished, there is another one. And great advice about downsizing while you are still able.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How wonderful that the estate is almost settled & the house will have new owners soon! It does seem like there's always family drama in those situations.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You've been a busy bee! Glad the estate is almost complete! Why do these things bring on family drama? - don't I know it! I agree about down sizing, if I could only convince the hubby!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's been decades since I visited Nashville. It's on my and hubby's list for a return visit. It's so easy to putt off the planning that makes life easier and less stressful for our loves when we pass away.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's been decades since I visited Nashville. It's on my and hubby's list for a return visit. It's so easy to putt off the planning that makes life easier and less stressful for our loves when we pass away.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's been decades since I visited Nashville. It's on my and hubby's list for a return visit. It's so easy to putt off the planning that makes life easier and less stressful for our loves when we pass away.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope we are a long way off this kind of situation but we are downsizing each and every day. I think we are down to about 50% of what we had a few years ago! Good job on keeping your heads. A job well done

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well as it seems it doesn't like me commenting from typepad here goes again - it looks like you had a great time with your college girl and found some new places to eat. Oh I can feel your pain - I had to do that with my Dad's place and things and it was no fun even though I only had to contend with my sister and her family. Going through 97 years of someone's life and figuring out what to do with it all was mentally and physically exhausting. Boy the things you find out about family members after someone dies is eye-opening. Glad to hear your husband can now take a well deserved rest from it.

    ReplyDelete