photo menu-home   photo menu-gallery   photo menu-resume   photo menu-resume.png   photo menustudio1.png

28 March 2016

Memorandum–I Am Mondaying

MondayING?  S, what’s that all about.  Monday is a noun.  Monday is not a verb.

verbification

I know, but tell that to this author and these people. Wiki says they are using a verbal noun! Others turn up their grammatically sensitive noses.

adulting

This is the book my daughter was reading on spring break.  I flipped through it and I think I could still learn a fair amount about adulting too!  (Careful, don’t read that title too fast – there’s no “er” in there!)

The idea of making a noun into a verb struck me, and has stuck with me.  So I used it for titling (or should that be “to title”) this layout about our trip to Nashville.  Nashville has become something we do, not just somewhere we go. 

nashvilling 


Story: “We visited the Parthenon and Museum in Centennial Park and then the Memorials in Bicentennial Mall Park.”

Stash: This is mostly from my March Counterfeit kit, which was based on leftovers from a Gossamer Blue class kit at last year’s Creating Keepsakes convention.  I thought I had used most of the paper up on my last layout, but discovered a few more sheets of the On My Desk collection stashed away.

The class included 2 2-page layout sketches.  For these pages I used the left half of one sketch altered to work with the right half of the other sketch. Crazy or creative, you decide?

Style: When working on 2 page layouts – alignment is crucial.  I insured that lines in my collage photos on the right coincided with breaks in the patterned papers.  I also aligned one side of each photo on the left side with another photo on that side.  Even though the pictures are staggered, the page looks neat and tidy.  Serendipitously, a diamond shape that could pass for a heart stands in as the O in love.  The letter was missing from my alphabet – and   a a larger zero would not have been as nice.  I added glossy accents so that it matched.

Speaking of pretty shiny things, a strip of glossy gold washi tape on the left side picks up the gold of the Athena statue on the right.  It also serves as a repetition of the dot paper on the right. and forms a visual triangle of gold in the center of the spread.

By the way, on the subject of disagreement about the propriety of using nouns as verbs in proper English, I think I can sum up the argument in much the same way our Pastor tries to lead us away from sin:  Not everything that is permissible is beneficial.  (1 Corinthians 10:23)  There, on the Monday after Easter if I have been naughty with my title, I have at least given you a nudge in the direction of the Good Book.  How very adult of me!

Now why not hop around to Sian @FromHighInTheSky and friends, and see if they are Mondaying in Memorandum fashion today.

12 comments:

  1. Loveeeeeee your page! LOVING the photos and that title ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. funny about the "no er" in the book title. I often pause to wonder at what point I will call myself an adult; I have moments of being quite adult like in all things, although I do work to keep the child in me quite alive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use "Monday-ing" and I just wrote "Monday-er" on another comment. I like to Monday. It makes the day before Tuesday a lot more fun I think Nashvilling would be a lot of fun too

    Have a great week Susanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so right---Nashville is something you "do!" I think your verbification is exactly right for Nashville! Next time you come Nashvilling, let me know and I'll send you to some awesome "off the beaten path" type places.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's amazing how many new verbs are appearing - how many of us don't think twice about saying we are going to 'google' something?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this layout-I always struggle with 2 pagers-but you've handled it beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the idea of the verbal noun, but it's your "nudge in the direction of the Good Book" that has me smiling at your adultness! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such an interesting revelation to me this morning.... verbs had crept in and become almost commonplace without me even being aware. I'm off to 'google' something now.
    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such an interesting revelation to me this morning.... verbs had crept in and become almost commonplace without me even being aware. I'm off to 'google' something now.
    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. As you know, English is my job and this verbifcation of words is interesting - as is the increasing (although still small) number of German words are finding their way into English - and are thus Englishfied. Interesting musings for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great looking page Susanne. I like that "verbal nouns" I can think of quite a few we use arouind here. :)

    ReplyDelete