photo menu-home   photo menu-gallery   photo menu-resume   photo menu-resume.png   photo menustudio1.png

24 April 2016

White With One Challenge

Awakening – a layout for The Studio Challenges

awakening 

Start: The current challenge over at The Studio Challenges:  make a layout using white and one other color.  Sounds easy for some, but not for me.

Style: I decided that I wanted to use blue as my one color.  Why, because there are more shades of blue than any other color in the spectrum, and I like choices (especially when they have already been limited).  I picked  some pictures of our pretty weeping cherry tree full of blooms last spring.  Alas, I missed snapping it this spring in full array.

Then I went to some of my oldest products.  I had taken many of these to the crop a couple weeks ago, and instead of putting everything away when I got home I purposely chose some items I was determined to use up, like the Stampin Up 6 x 6 paper pad with tone on tone patterns in Bashful Blue.   Those white textured flowers are also from SU; I tucked three in a visual triangle.  The one up top was perforated around the center and so I accented that with stitching.  The addition of a chipboard cloud in a turquoise blue transforms it to the sun.

Other newer products include the tiled blue washi tape, fresh from the crop.  The colors were a little too bold, so I layered a white dotted tape over the top, to tie in better with the two shades of blue on my page. In fact, I’ll be serving up new washi on lots of layouts in the near future.

20160415_120934

The decision I debated the longest was on the title.  I auditioned many blue alphabets, silver and gold ones too.  I went with the pop of the black; the shock of it wakes up the reader.  I took the time to cover the colorful dots of the little butterfly in black before setting him upon his perch.

Stash: Wood grain cardstock – unknown from stash
Patterned paper, textured flowers, punched flower – Stampin Up
Doily – Studio Calico
Chipboard – Bella Blvd.
Washi tape – Eyelet Outlet (tile), Becky Higgins (white dot), CTMH (solid skinny)
Acrylic alphabet – The Paper Studio
Buttons – Aunt’s button box
Journal Font – Sarah Dunn Hand

I think the trick to a limited color scheme and using old product is the same.  You have to do interesting things with texture and dimension.  For example, my choice of the wood grain paper and the flower doily reflect nature.  I used lots of layering in the flowers and even popped up the little photos.  Attention to detail helps my pages looked finished even with limited color and pattern.

Why not hop over to The Studio Challenges and see which colors the other team members paired with white for this challenge.

10 comments:

  1. Love your layout. I really like the texture of the white woodgrain cardstock. That alone adds interest to your page. I also like the addition of the two little punched photos. And your journaling is the perfect sentiment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is gorgeous! LOVING the way you documented the seasons, the grid design and the colors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really fabulous! I love that the doily echoes the lacy look to the trees and blue was the perfect color to show off the lovely photos. I think this is my favorite layout of yours ever (can you tell how much I like it?!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a truly pretty layout ... The lacy effect is perfect with the blossoms and all those blues work so nicely together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is gorgeous :) just stunning!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty - I like the textures you've included in this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your layout is so fresh and clean…love this!!!
    You did awesome using only the 2 colours.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super nice LO. And suddenly you see the world different, taking photo's for scrapbooking, I know what you mean.
    The blue and white work so nice together with these photo's.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous layout - love that textured cardstock - I treated myself to some last year (not just white but a grey, kraft and brown too) but I am in the stroking phase still and can't use it LOL. Your trees are very beautiful - our neighbour has a beautiful cherry tree in his front garden, very soon it will be bursting into life.

    ReplyDelete