photo menu-home   photo menu-gallery   photo menu-resume   photo menu-resume.png   photo menustudio1.png

01 May 2016

Doubly Delightfully Challenging Layout

Let Our Best Days Begin – a Challenge YOUrself and Scrap It With A Song layout

letourbestdays-001 

Start: Well, we are here a few days early this month because we were doubly challenged over at Challenge Yourself.

1.  We had this lovely mood board:




2.  We were joining in over at Scrap It With A Song:

scrapitwithasong

There were two choices of song – I preferred the pop choice:
"Best Day Of My Life" by American Authors

You can check out the lyrics here:
http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/americanauthors/bestdayofmylife.html


The opening lyrics of the song tie into the mood board perfectly:
I had a dream so big and loud, I jumped so high I touched the clouds,
I stretched my hands out to the sky, we danced . . . .



Style: The lyrics of the song about dancing through the night and having no worries sparked my idea to use a picture of hubby and me dancing at our wedding reception.  I had recently found a print in his aunt’s photos, so I scanned it, cropped it and turned it black and white.

Then I went to the mood board to choose papers.  What struck me more than colors in the mood board were the representations of light – sunshine, especially.  But my picture was set during the evening hours – so I interpreted that light using the bokeh paper from Echo Park – the reverse side just happened to be lines of music.  Sweet scrappy serendipity!

So my colors are deeper than the mood board.  I lightly printed the lyrics out on a piece of white cardstock embossed with flowers (selectively highlighted with colored pencil) and then layered up my photo in the middle.  I used the music paper along the edges.  I took the liberty of changing a few words in the lyrics to better match what I was scrapping – dancing with monsters wouldn’t do - it became dancing with love!!  I also used a line of the lyrics on my journal card.  Epiphanies certainly seem to be represented by light – like the gold elements and gems I employed on this page.

Stash: Cardstock and white velvet ribbon– unknown
Patterned paper – Echo Park Teal Bokeh, 6 x 6 pad from Studio Calico
Tissue paper and bow – Felicity Jane (yes, from the wrappings – in fact I just cut the bow and used it as already tied)
Alphabet – American Crafts Imprint in Gold
Die-cuts punched from Teresa Collins journal cards
Eyelet-style envelope flap – Martha Stewart
Gems – Queen and Company
Font – Saginaw

Now why not hop over to both Challenge Yourself and Scrap It With A Song to see what the other designers have scrapped for this doubly delightful challenge.

10 comments:

  1. This layout is gorgeous! Love the big bow and your paper selections are just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely beautiful layout, Susanne! I can't begin to tell you just how much I love the photo with the sun flare! You used the mood board to perfection, and I love the way you combined both challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a lovely yet special layout.
    Such a treasure to find that photo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful layout! Love the colors you used.
    Thanks for playing at SIWAS

    ReplyDelete
  5. What lovely colours and photo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very pretty page, love the big bow ! Thanks for playing with us at SIWAS !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful layout. Love your take on our challenge. Thanks for joining us at SIWAS.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely layout! thanks for playing with siwas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah, this is really beautiful! Thanks for playing with SIWAS

    ReplyDelete
  10. The lyrics fit perfectly with you picture, what a beautiful LO! Thanks for playing with us at SIWAS!

    ReplyDelete