photo menu-home   photo menu-gallery   photo menu-resume   photo menu-resume.png   photo menustudio1.png

20 June 2016

Memorandum Monday–In With The Old

Hello, Sian @FromHighInTheSky and friends.  This Monday finds me updating you on an old project.

Last Monday afternoon, we finally checked whether or not either set of bookcases were still available at the consignment shop.  I decided upon the contemporary ones with greater capacity for holding books.  My decision was made easier because the other set was gone and this set had hit another price reduction point.

Still, I had a moment of hesitation when hubby queried, “so we’re going to get these today?”  You see, I am a bargain hunter down to my every gene.  I was debating on whether to risk waiting another 2 weeks for the final 15% price drop.  Hubby was rolling his eyes (rightly so) as my internal calculator crunched the numbers.  Then I spotted a huge Like Us On Facebook banner on a back wall.  So I asked if they had a Facebook discount?  The answer was yes, 10% more savings if paying with check or cash.  Yippee skippee, hesitation was history.

20160616_125939

We managed to haul the bookcases one at a time in the back of the Jeep Grand Cherokee with only an inch or two of depth to spare.  We ran them home in two 15 minute trips, unloaded them in the garage, and I cleaned and polished them right away. The next day I tempted our son with lunch at our house so that he could help his Dad carry them up the stairs.  They are quite heavy.  He bit (pun intended), and the following day they were full of books.

This is our mostly mish-mosh selection of books that don’t fit with other themes in the living room or the library next to my studio.  Included are books hubby brought back from his aunt’s.  While he unboxed and shelved, he entered them into our database of books.  That is when I learned something new, noticing a genre that I didn’t recognize:  bildungsroman?

Any idea what kind of books those are?  Well, according to Merriam-Webster:

Bildungsroman is the combination of two German words: Bildung, meaning "education," and Roman, meaning "novel." Fittingly, a "bildungsroman" is a novel that deals with the formative years of the main character - in particular, his or her psychological development and moral education. The bildungsroman usually ends on a positive note with the hero's foolish mistakes and painful disappointments over and a life of usefulness ahead.

Do you want to know what books in our extensive collection fit than genre?
  • To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee
  • The Lemon Jelly Cake by Madeline Smith
  • Sisterhood Everlasting by Ann Brashears
  • The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

We probably have others that just are not classified as such.  Here’s a link to a comprehensive genre list on Goodreads.  And that is where I saw a sub-genre called: Kunstlerroman .
A subgenre of the Bildungsroman, the Kunstlerroman specifically describes the struggles of the young protagonist in their journey to become an artist.
What a cool list that would be to check out.  I guess these are normally called coming of age books; but golly, aren’t you all feeling smarter already using the German-derived terms! I certainly am.

20160616_130004

There is empty space for more books on that bottom shelf and behind the doors (which are begging for a little embellishment).  As you can see, I added a few pretties, and plan to add framed pictures too. That is, once I’ve sorted them out.  Can you believe I took a bunch of these off the shelves when we redecorated more than 3 years ago and most of them never made it back.  So this week’s project is to update the photos and display them around the house.

frames

Then, I am going to figure out what to stash on a couple of now vacated shelves next to the studio.
Have you learned something new about books or in a book since we last chatted?  Please do drop us a Monday Memorandum and let us know!

14 comments:

  1. Loving those new-to-you bookshelves! They look great all filled up!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad the book shelves were still waiting for you. And you filled them right up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A new set of bookshelves is always a cause for celebration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those bookcases are quite an impressive bargin. I like learning that new term for a specific type of book genre - thanks for sharing that one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've enjoyed your explanations and been edified and entertained in the process :). Your new bookcases are looking very smart.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I DO feel so much smarter now ;)
    I too love my books and many bookcases...I love that you have a data base for them.
    I keep meaning to keep a book journal of all of the books I have read...I even made a little book for them, but haven't done it yet :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done on getting even more of a discount

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! I learned a couple new things today! Thanks ;) love the baskets in your shelves by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! I learned a couple new things today! Thanks ;) love the baskets in your shelves by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great buy on the bookshelves - they look in great shape!
    I wouldn't want to catalog the books I have - yikes. Although it would be interesting to see if I have any bildungsroman books!

    Thanks for stopping by. More Alaska pictures to come!

    Hugs,
    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  11. It sounds like you got a great deal! Your bookshelves look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had to laugh! My husband always says, "you're planning to buy it NOW?" I think to myself, "why do you think we're here?" Anyway, you'll have to add The Catcher in the Rye to that category. That's really getting specific with the genres!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the genre titles - you know how much I love German influences. I need bookshelves. I hardly have any and we do have some books in boxes that need to be brought back out into the light. Of course I hardly read any more so I've stopped buying new books and threw out literally hundreds last summer but I held onto some much loved copies.

    ReplyDelete