photo menu-home   photo menu-gallery   photo menu-resume   photo menu-resume.png   photo menustudio1.png

12 August 2016

Counterfeit Kit Challenge–Outside the Stash

The second August challenge at the Counterfeit Kit Challenge blog is to use something outside your scrapbooking stash on your project.

20160806_090951

Well, I had just about given up on this one.  But when I was working on a project last week, a small gift box to hold a little gift for my mother-in-law’s birthday, I remembered something that might possibly be worked into the project beautifully. Here is how my project progressed:
  • started with the little milk carton made by sis-in-law using a Stampin Up die.
  • added overlapping strips of washi tape all the way around.
  • decorated the front with all the fabulous little goodies from Mimosa that were included in my August counterfeit kit, layering the vellum and trimming them on the bottom edge.
  • added a little strip sentiment from Studio Calico that says “Delight in the little things.”
  • added the Stampin Up brad and poked the two butterflies into the carton and secured them to the inside with more washi tape.
Then came the finishing touch – to close the top I inked a wooden mini clothespin in soft aqua and attached a little tassel of silver (an idea that I got from the Kraft+ challenge for this month.)  But it looked a bit plain still.

That is when I remembered the fabric samples I had ordered from Smith & Noble when considering window treatments during our last redecorating project.  One of the fabrics was silvery linen and I retrieved it from a kitchen drawer where it had been stashed more than 3 years ago, and I had seen it hundreds of times since. My mother-in-law prefers silver over gold, so it made sense to play it up.


20160806_091021

I added Studio Calico Mr. Huey drops of gold, which do not photograph well, but in real life blend beautifully with the gold butterfly, circle and ink in the Mimosa elements.
So here you have a picture of the home decor fabric sample which I pinked down to size, and a shot of the backside of the box with it’s little somethin’ somethin’.

20160806_09105020160806_091012

Don’t you think it works well with this birthday card from a class I took at Creating Keepsakes.

20160806_091039

What is lurking in your kitchen drawers and could you use it as part of your scrapbook stash this month?

11 comments:

  1. Such a sweet little box that anyone would be appreciative of especially with that little something' inside!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhhhhhhhh so beautiful! LOVING the soft colors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Applause! Especially for using something saved in the junk drawer, lol! It really is the perfect touch on that beautiful little treasure of a box - who needs a gift when the packaging is so special?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really lovely! I would love to get a gift that had been packaged with such care and beauty. (I fear though that our junk drawer wouldn't give me anything I would want to pass along to anyone!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So beautiful! Great to use a supply that is already on hand.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very pretty! I love the idea of using fabric that has been used somewhere else as an embellishment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so pretty and such a brilliant idea! Love the matching beautiful card too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both your card and your gift box are so so pretty.
    Love the soft colours and all of the texture.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great use of the fabric scrap. There was a time such samples, and paint cards, were sought after for projects. I had such a pile...

    ReplyDelete
  10. You took the challenge and ran with it! I love what you did and how this adorable little box turned out - thanks so much for making the prompt work so well

    ReplyDelete