photo menu-home   photo menu-gallery   photo menu-resume   photo menu-resume.png   photo menustudio1.png

01 October 2016

October Counterfeit Kit Challenge Reveal Blog Hop

October 1 – the beginning of the fourth quarter of the year, says this ex-accountant.  Yes, even though I do not have to worry about quarterly SEC reporting or year-end budgets anymore, I still have that accounting gene in me.  But I digress (or do I?).

Start: Welcome to October’s Counterfeit Kit Challenge reveal blog hop.  This month’s inspiration was chosen by Susan.  It is a a collection from Pink Fresh Studios called Indigo Hills.

Indigohills12_x_12_pack

It’s new! YAY!
It’s trendy! YAY!
It’s not really my thing! OOPS!

Honestly, this is the kind of paper I get all excited about because I see the cute navy and pink, but when I look at the overall style – it would be tricky for me to use for scrapbooking.

I mean really, an accounting type who is not into super-trendy. I imagine you are not surprised! Not one iota.

Style: But hey, I am an accounting type.  So I will fall back on my natural tendency to balance out this dilemma.  Let’s see, on the plus side of the ledger, it is just as well that:

1)  I will have little time to craft in October.
2) Today happens to be World Cardmaking Day.
3)  A small card kit based on what I like about that collection could work nicely.

YAY!  I started by finding a couple of pieces of paper that were similar to theirs:
a watercolor washed sheet and a black/white petite floral on pink.

Indigo Hills CollectionIndigo Hills Collection

Stash: And here are the two pieces I found in my miscellaneous papers bin:
The reverse side of Peanut Deli – Acorn Ave – Crate Paper and Baby Love – New Arrival – Pebbles, from 2012 and 2010 respectively.

In fact, I had an opportunity to use the watercolor paper before the month even started - you can see it here on a layout I did for The Studio Challenges.

octkitstart-001

I then found a few papers to bridge the color range, including one with juxtaposed diagonal lines and one with clusters of flowers.  You see, I am trying.

octkitpapers

I also grabbed this Wildflower Meadow stamp and matching embossing folder by Stampin Up. (Recent LSS rummage sale acquisitions – $4 for the pair!)

octkitstamps

Other stamp sets include Botanicals For You with that stunning brush script sentiment and Chalk Talk (with its matching dies).  And to round out the kit how about some cardstock, two shades of Mr. Huey mist, gold and wood accents, die-cuts, buttons and ribbons/twine.  That adds up, quite nicely.

20160901_145753

I feel like I took enough inspiration from the kit to heart to make mine a valid counterfeit, but much more suited to my style and my purpose this month.


octoberkitfinal

Stops: How will you counterfeit this collection?  For a few more ideas, be sure to hop around and see what the whole team has done.





  • Guest Designer – Kelly Barron
  • Lisa
  • Lynnette
  • Susan
  • S - YOU ARE HERE
  • Jemma
  • Julene
  • Kelly
  • Lesley
  • Leslie
  • 13 comments:

    1. I think Indigo Hills is my most favourite collection I've seen anywhere in a long time, so I've been checking out the counterfeit takes on it this morning. It's a brilliant, brave choice for the challenge this month and have been enjoying the results.

      ReplyDelete
    2. LOVING what you came up with!!!!!!!

      ReplyDelete
    3. A beauty just waiting to be cut up and stuck down. All those lovely splashes of colour will make any page shine :)

      ReplyDelete
    4. Looks wonderful! I like your stamp sets and often forget to use mine.

      ReplyDelete
    5. That's a great kit - lots of stamps in the kit. I am feeling inspired already :)

      ReplyDelete
    6. Like the collection you came up with! Will be looking forward to what you create with it. Love the stamps you chose too!

      ReplyDelete
    7. as an ex-accountant too, I can so relate! I love that you started with those two papers and everything really bridged together...cute embellishment kit too!

      ReplyDelete
    8. You've done a great job making the counterfeit kit your own! The floral stamp set looks like it was made for this one.

      ReplyDelete
    9. I love it! I agree that you have done a great job putting your own spin on the inspiration!

      ReplyDelete
    10. I'll admit that I did have second thoughts about this collection as my choice! I was really drawn to it but, the more I looked at it, I couldn't imagine how I would use some of those graphic pieces. You did a marvelous job isolating just a few pieces and building from there. Bravo!

      ReplyDelete
    11. I am so looking forward to seeing what you create with all of these goodies :)
      I have been retired for a few years now and I still feel like I need to balance something month end, lol.

      ReplyDelete
    12. Oh this is a lovely selection of goodies.

      ReplyDelete
    13. Ooo, clever take on this gorgeous but tricky to use inspiration kit! Of course, I knew you'd pull it off - you always do! I'm late commenting but it doesn't mean I didn't drop by earlier to see what you'd brought together so cleverly! A super mini-kit!

      ReplyDelete