photo menu-home   photo menu-gallery   photo menu-resume   photo menu-resume.png   photo menustudio1.png

04 December 2016

December Sketch @ The Studio Challenges

Garden of The Gods – a layout for The Studio Challenges

gofthegs 

Start: This sketch from The Studio Challenges

dec4sketch

Style: I liked this sketch of Anna’s based on a layout by Raechelle.  So much so that I had an idea immediately based on a photograph I had waiting to be scrapped.  In fact, I laid out all the elements one night and the next morning put the finishing touches on it.

This is a panoramic shot from our October hiking trip.  I chose this base sheet of patterned paper because of the circle of stars.

The idea was to emphasize the amazing open expanses you can see from the top of the rocks.  This photo emphasizes that you are up high, like the stars, so I cropped it twice as wide as it was tall, and then chopped down a 3 x 4 journal card to match.

Because the stars on the background sheet were in a circle, I rounded most of the elements and used clear and gold dots along with dotted vellum patterns behind the photo.  The rounded edges work much better with the organic shapes of the large boulders pictured.   I aired out the spacing of my title to give it a wide-lens effect.

In order to reinforce the idea of scale, I included a small photo to my son and his girlfriend looking out over another view there.  I think it adds in the element of human enjoyment of nature that a landscape shot alone does not.

Stash: Paper and vellum transparencies – Webster’s Pages, All That Glitters
Card and die-cuts – Heidi Swapp Gold Studio and My Mind’s Eye
Alphabets – American Crafts Imprint in Black and White
Magic vellum die-cut – Mimosa
Washi tape – Studio Calico
Acrylic star – Pink Paislee
Clear drops – unknown

12 comments:

  1. Beautiful layout! Love that star transparency!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that is a beautiful layout :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow wow wowwwwwwwwwwww! This is simply GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow...that star transparency...I need it! It makes for such a gorgeous page.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stopping by to say "Hello." Hope you have a very blessed and happy Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a beautiful layout!!
    I do like this sketch and love the star paper you used...perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely layout. I especially like (a lot) that star circle paper.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a great layout with the panorama shot - I took one recently that I'd like to use but can I make it look as good as this one I wonder? The star paper is so great. I ought to have that in my stash too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The circle of stars makes for an amazing background. Mmm...wonder would it be worth trying to replicate that? NOt sure I have the patience, but what a counterfeit that would be.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love how you put so much thought in to every aspect of your layout. You have a knack for using "scale" to your advantage. The gold---everything---is perfect for the fall photos too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Perfect background and design for the breathtaking photo.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, this turned out great with that breathtaking photo & lovely background paper!

    ReplyDelete